The Faculty of Advanced Training and Retraining at Vitebsk State Medical University had been functioning as the Doctors’ Improvement Faculty from 1985 to 1991 (Dean: Professor A.A. Matveev). The following chairs were founded at the Faculty: Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology (head of the chair - Professor Suprun L.Y.), Chair of the Functional Diagnostics (head of the chair - Professor V.A. Lollini), Chair of Therapy (head of the chair - Associate Professor A.N. Okorokov), Chair of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (head of the chair -Professor D.K. Novikov), Chair of Surgery and Endoscopic Diagnosis (head of the chair - Professor N.G. Kharkevich), Chair of Pediatrics (head of the chair - Professor V.I. Novikova). During its existence the Faculty has trained over 5000 physicians from Belarus, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, the Baltic Republics and the Ukraine.
For the purpose of the concentration of pharmaceutical teaching staff the Faculty of Improvement of Pharmaceutical Professionals was established on the basis of Pharmaceutical Faculty of Vitebsk State Medical Institute from 1 January 1994 by the order of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus dated by October, 26, 1993, №237. As an independent unit, the Faculty of Improvement of Pharmacists started its functioning from 1 February 1994. In accordance with the Rector’s order the Dean's office (dean - Associate Professor G.N. Tsarik) and two chairs: the Chair of Management and Economy of Pharmacy (headed by an Associate Professor Safronova T.A.) and the Chair of Technology of Medicinal Forms (headed by an Assistant Professor E.I. Rzheussky) including a course of pharmaceutical chemistry were established.
In 1997 the Faculty of Advanced Training was re-established, it was later renamed the Faculty of Advanced Training andRetraining. In 1997 it was accredited as complying with standards by the commission of independent experts of the State Inspectorate of Education of Belarus for the term of 5 years.
The Faculty had been headed by Professor V.S. Glushanko from 1999 to 2006, from 2006 to 2014 – by Professor L.Y. Radetzkaya. Since October 2014 the faculty has been headed by Professor A.N. Shchupakova.
The main purpose of the educational process at the Faculty is the study of the latest scientific achievements and the best practices in the field of medicine and pharmacy. The main attention is drawn to the deepening and consolidation of theoretical knowledge, acquiring of new one and improvement of existing skills, familiarizing with new equipment and devices, development of advanced forms, methods and techniques of work.
Since 1997 more than 38,000 doctors and pharmacists from the Republic of Belarus and the CIS have been trained at the Faculty.
One of the main components of the quality of education obtained at the Faculty is the qualification of teaching staff. Highly qualified specialists work at the FAT and PD. 36 employees or 85.7% of teaching staff of the Faculty have either Doctor’s or Candidate’s degree, while those having Doctor’s degree comprise 36.1%. Highly qualified lecturers from other faculties of the University, holding positions of the heads of chairs, professors, associate professors are involved in instruction process at the Faculty. In order to bring educational process closer to medical and pharmaceutical practice doctors and pharmacists of health care organizations are involved, it also helps improve the quality of education obtained.
At the present time, the Faculty has a dean's office and 15 university divisions including five independent chairs and 10 courses of the FAT and PD affiliated to university chairs.
From left to right: Dean’s office specialist Y.V. Valkova, Dean’s office specialist Y.V. Batalkina, Dean, Professor A.N. Shchupakova, Deputy Dean, Senior Lecturer T.A. Dorofeeva, Dean’s office specialist I.G. Sukhodolova.
Chair of Therapy №1 FAT and R is headed by Professor V.P. Podpalov, Chair of Therapy №2 FAT and R – by Professor S.I. Pimanov, Chair of Surgery FAT and R - by Professor V.I. Petukhov, Chair of Pediatrics FAT and R - by Professor V.I. Novikova, Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology FAT and R - by Professor T.S. Divakova.
There are following Courses of Advanced Training and Retraining at the faculty chairs:
- Anesthesiology and Intensive Care (head of the chair - Associate Professor A.N. Mamas, head of the Course FAT and R - Senior Lecturer V.V. Shvarenok);
- Clinical Immunology and Allergology (head of the chair - Professor D.K. Novikov; head of the Course FAT and R Professor L.R .Vyhristenko);
- General and Clinical Biochemistry (Head of the chair - Associate Professor A.V. Kulikov, head of the Course FAT and R - Senior Lecturer Y.I. Skreblo);
- Oncology with courses of radiation diagnostics and radiotherapy (head of the chair - Professor N.G. Lud; head of the Course FAT and R - Associate Professor L.N. Lud);
- General and Clinical Pharmacology (head of the chair - Professor M.R. Conorev; head of the Course FAT and R - Associate Professor O.V. Kurluk);
- Management and Economy of Pharmacy (head of the Chair - Associate Professor G.A. Hutkina; head of the Course FAT and R - Senior Lecturer Y.V. Ignatieva);
- Industrial Technology (head of the chair - Associate Professor O.M. Hishova; head of the Course FAT and R - Associate Professor S.I. Kotliar);
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry (head of the chair - Associate Professor A.K. Zhernosek, head of the Course FAT and R - Associate Professor V.A. Kulikov);
- Pharmacognosy (head of the chair - Associate Professor G.N. Buzuk, head of the Course FAT and PD - Associate Professor M.M. Konopleva);
- Standardization of Medications (head of the chair - Associate Professor D.V. Moiseev, headof the Course FAT and PD - Associate Professor V.I. Fadeev).
Specialists improving their qualification:
- obstetricians and gynecologists
- physicians-neurologists and neurosurgeons
- general practitioners
- doctors of ultrasound diagnostics
- trauma surgeons
- emergency physicians
- anesthesiologists and experts in resuscitation
- infectious diseases specialists
- doctors of laboratory diagnostics
- other medical specialists
- pharmacists of pharmaceutical institutions and enterprises of all forms of ownership and the ones of departmental affiliation
- doctors and pharmacists involved in instruction process and teaching special disciplines at medical universities and medical colleges
The faculty can provide retraining in the following specialities:
- General medical practice
- Allergology and Immunology
- Anesthesiology and Intensive Care
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Pharmacy (for those who have a break in their professional career, if a group of 6 people can be arranged)
Promptly responding to the needs of practical medicine and pharmacy, lecturers of the Faculty are constantly processing curricula, updating course contents, improving the forms and types of professional development of specialists.
In accordance with the plan for 2015 it is planned to carry out advanced training on 101 themes and two specialties of retraining.
The staff of the Faculty are actively engaged in scientific work and conducts advisory and therapeutic work in the clinic of VSMU and health care organizations.