On the 9 of February, 2017 the meeting of generations of scientists was held in the National Academy of Sciences in Minsk. Vitebsk State Medical University was represented by the delegation including students, postgraduates and master students.
Greetings to the youth approached the chairman of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus Gusakov Vladimir Grigoryevich., chairman of the Republican public association "Belaya Rus" Alexander Mikhailovich Radkov. Corr.-memb. A.V. Kilchevskiy spoke about the main directions of activity of National Academy of Sciences, A.I. Ivanec told about the activities of the Council of Young Scientists of NASB, T.V. Plisko – about the projects «Young scientists «under the key".
The leading scientists of the country: memb.-corr. – S.A. Usanov, Academician V.E. Agabekov Academician A.A. Mikhailevich told personal stories about life's journey in science, suggested how to use the knowledge and hard work to build a career and achieve success, wish perseverance and determination on this difficult path.
In the second part of the meeting, participants were able to visit and get acquainted with the work of the scientific organizations of NASB. So, VSMU delegation visited Institute of Genetics and Cytology.
Institute of Genetics and Cytology of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus was founded in 1965. The founder and the first director of the Institute was an outstanding scientist and a geneticist, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences and the Russian Academy of Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Honored Scientist of the Byelorussian SSR, the BSSR State Prize laureate Nikolai Turbin. At various time the outstanding scientists of Genetics – academicians of AS BSSR A.R.Zhebrak, P.F. Rokitsky, corr.-member of the Academy of Sciences of the Byelorussian SSR A.N.Ipatyev worked in the Institute. The main areas of research are:
- Structural and functional organization of genomes of plants, animals, humans and microorganisms;
- Learning the structural and functional organization of genomes of plants, animals, humans and microorganisms;
- Learning the problems of genetic and cell engineering;
- Development of the genetic basis of plant breeding, animals and micro-organisms;
- Creation of genomic technologies for agriculture, health, sports, environmental protection;
- Learning the problems of biosafety;
- Provision of services for DNA labeling and DNA certification of plants, animals, humans and microorganisms;
- Collection and preservation of unique DNA samples as a valuable source of genetic information;
- Monitoring of the Republic of Belarus genetic resources, facilitate access to genetic resources and benefit-sharing;
- Provision of services in the definition of genetically modified ingredients in food raw materials and food products;
The Institute established such laboratories as:
- Laboratory of Molecular Genetics;
- Laboratory of Genetic and Cell Engineering;
- Human Genetics Laboratory;
- Laboratory of the molecular basis of genome stability;
- Laboratory cytogenetic plants;
- Genetic Process Modeling Laboratory.
As a part of the visit to the Institute, our delegation got acquainted with the work of the Republican Center for Genomic Biotechnology.
The trip for all the participants proved to be very fruitful and, above all, useful for us as budding young scientists.
Surunovich Y.N. postgraduate student of the therapy number 1 Faculty of Advanced training and Personal Development
Boltrushevich N.G.,the Head of postgraduate and doctoral studies, Associate Professor